Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Aloo Poha ~ Atukulu Upma

Atukulu Upma ~ Savoury Rice Flakes

Its been a long time again.... I posting on my blog, my laptop has given up on me :( and was left with no choice than to depend on my friend's laptop for surfing and stuff . So I was not able to blog anything so far. One more thing I wanted to share is I am going to India for a vacation in March. Pretty much excited about the whole trip, I am going to my Desh (country) after a span of 3.3yrs and my feet are really not on ground right now. My laptop is here and wanted to blog few of my favorite recipes before I become busy with my trip preps, shopping, packing..

Aloo Poha is one of my favorite breakfast/snack and is a very easy to make recipe. I can have this anytime in substitution for my lunch or dinner, it makes me so full, obviously because its made of rice. I think this is great breakfast for bachelors who have limited resources and minimum experience in cooking. During my hostel days we had this on the menu daily and honestly, I got bored eating that daily there :) but again its my favo.... Am I contradicting? do you think so? But anyways here is my mother's recipe which she learned from one of her Maharashtrian friend.

Source: My Mother
Cuisine: Indian~Maharashtrian
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves: 4 people
Ingredients:
2.5 C thick Poha/flattened rice flakes
(from Indian groceries)
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 large potato, thinly diced or boiled ones
3-4 green chillies, cut into small pieces
Handful of frozen green peas
(optional)
Handful of peanuts
small bunch of cilantro, chopped finely
4-5 curry leaves
Juice of 1 small lemon/lime
grated coconut of garnishing
(optional)
pinch of haldi/turmeric powder
1t jeera/cumin
1t mustard seeds
1t urad dal/black gram
1t chana dal/bengal gram
2T cooking oil
salt as per taste
Method:
  1. Wash the rice flakes/atukulu thoroughly only once in cold water, drain immediately to avoid sogginess and keep aside for few mins. You will notice that the flakes becomes plumpy as they absorb any excess water. Chop onions, green chillies, potato.
  2. Heat oil in a wide pan and add the mustard, let it splutter for a min and then add urad dal/black gram and cumin/jeera, chana dal/bengal gram and curry leaves. Let it fry for a min and add the raw peanuts. Fry till it they are brown in color.
  3. Meanwhile mix some salt in the soaked poha and mix well with your hands. Dont use spoon/spatula it may break the flakes.
  4. Add onions, diced potato, green peas and green chillies to the pan . Let it cook for few mins or till the potatoes are done if you are taking the fresh one instead of boiled one. Add turmeric and mix well and then add the salted poha to it.
  5. Mix well and let it sit on the flame for 3 more mins. Add the lime/lemon juice and chopped cilantro and mix well so that the juice is evenly distributed.
  6. Before serving garnish with freshly grated coconut.
Thanks to Asha for reminding about two events related to potato going on in food blogosphere. I am sending this entry to Sia host of Ode to Potato and to Dhivya host of The Potato Fe(a)st.

36 comments:

FH said...

Hi Padma, glad to see you back. Hope your laptop gets week faster!
Lot of bloggers seem to be going to India this March. I can understand your excitement. Enjoy your time there!:)
Aloo Poha looks yummy. I never added Aloo in that but make Avalakki Uppittu as usual, must try this. Send this to Sia and DK, both have Potato events going on right now.

DK said...

Thanks to You and Thanks To dear asha! She is a darling indeed. I make Poha with vegetables but never thought of using only potatoes! Such a great idea and a very healthy one for a morning meal. Good one from you Padma..thanks for sending my way.

Have a very safe and happy trip to India! Am sure u wud be excited..nothing beats the feeling of going to home country and meeting all our near n dear ones.

Laavanya said...

Padma, good to see you again... Aloo Poha looks perfect.
Enjoy your trip home.. 3.3 yrs is a long time...

Anonymous said...

Aloo poha is our favorite sunday morning breakfast at home PAdma! this looks delish!

Anonymous said...

I make poha for quick BF or evening meals,but never made with potatoes. Will surely try it for next time.

TBC said...

Enjoy your trip home, Padma!

Meera said...

Enjoy your India trip. Have lots of fun.
poha looks nice.
Thanks for visiting my blog.

Sig said...

Have a great trip Padma.. good to see you back :)

Red Chillies said...

Hey Padma, So glad to see you back. Hope you have a terrific time in India with your family. I am feeling so J. Take care.

Srivalli said...

Good to see you back...somehow even the simplest atukulu looks great thr your lens...glad to hear you are coming down ..let me know the details the mail..take care..

Sreelu said...

Padma glad to see you back, hey this is one dish I make when I come home hungry from work simple yet delicious

Dori said...

Mmmmmm, I really enjoy this dish a lot...yours looks yummy and I will have to try it very soon :) Have a safe trip!!!

Kribha said...

Nice to have you back. Going for a vavacation huh? Enjoy your time there. Aloo poha looks very delicious.

Lisa Turner said...

So glad you are back Padma. Your posts always put a smile on my face. Have a safe and happy trip. I will check back always for your inspired creations. Thank you for sharing your delicious recipes!

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Have a wonderful, safe trip back home!

Cakespy said...

You're back and deliciously so! This looks very tasty!

Ramki said...

Hi Padma,

I've blogged your Atukulu Upma as a model recipe in the 1001 Quickie Breakfast cookbook at
http://ramkicooks.blogspot.com/2008/02/1001-quickie-breakfasts.html

/Thanks for the detailed recipe

Ramki

Anonymous said...

I love poha! Enjoy your holiday - I have just returned and already miss it very much. I had not been to India for 4 years.

Anonymous said...

PS safe travelling

Uma said...

Hi Padma,

First time here. You have a lovely blog. Love all your recipes. Aloo Poha looks so delicious. Very nice entry.

Viji said...

A handy tiffen padma. Nice photo. Viji

anusriram said...

First time visit to your blog... You have a wonderful blog here... Aloo Poha looks delicious and tempting..

Kalai said...

First time here, Padma. Nice blog! Love this recipe for aloo poha. Have a wonderful trip to India! :)

Cynthia said...

The excitement in your voice warms the heart. There's nothing quite like going home.

Anonymous said...

Aloo Poha sounds quite yummy. Thanks for good recipes.

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there it is Jeena and I have started a food recipe forum that I thought you would like to join here Click here for food recipe forum

I would love to see you on there to chat about food and cooking you can talk about anything you like and start your very own topics. :-)
or see my main food recipe website Jeenas food recipe site

Hope to see you soon

Thanks

Jeena x

Lia said...

hi Padma how r u?

uppma is wonderdul dish for breakfats and iam going to try urs soon ;)

East Meets West Kitchen said...

I love any recipes from moms, and looks like this one is a must try soon. Welcome back! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Telefone VoIP, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-voip.blogspot.com. A hug.

Lia said...

Hi Padma how r u, long time we didnt keep in touch :)

ur aloo poha makes me drolling!

Andhra Flavors said...

Thank you Padma such a nice traditional dish.

Anonymous said...

Hope your vacation went well and that you had a great time!

Mishmash ! said...

Padma, thanks so much for letting me know....the person has taken 2 of my pics and many more from other bloggers and other sites...i have dropped a message on the comment section to remove all the plagiarised pics....waiting to see if they take some action on this!

This is my second experience today...frustrating to deal with such issues:(

Shn

Anonymous said...

Mmm, this brings back memories of breakfast in Maharashtra! I make a similar dish, but with sweet potatoes instead of the regular kind. It makes the dish a beautiful colour. You can see pictures on my blog, if interested: http://mangosoup.blogspot.com/2009/08/sweet-potato-poha.html

Unknown said...

hi Padma, first time on your blog :) apart from having a wonderful collection of recipes, I have to say I love the photos too...came here in search of aloo poha on google and was glad I found ur blog :) made it today, turned ut good ! Thanks for the recipe ! Do visit my blog when u get time :)
roopa

chowringheelaxminagar said...


I visit your post. And I like it. plz keep continue.Thanks!!
Chowringhee Laxmi Nagar Menu

Related Posts with Thumbnails