Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Banana Chocolate chip muffins


Gorgeous looking Muffins

Baking happened to me when I came to US, back at my mother's place in Bombay my kitchen endeavors were very minimum. Never helped her in kitchen, but I did other things like decorating my house, cleaning, gardening, taking care of my fish tank, arts & crafts etc..etc. We did not have oven or microwave there so there were no baking sessions at home except that my mother used to bake tutty-fruity round cake in an old styled aluminum vessel we get in India.

USA- Land of opportunities was like exploring things in and around New Jersey and also in my kitchen too. I landed in US in Nov-2004 and my first baking session started with a birthday cake for JB (after 3 months). I was so scared to touch the oven so I used it to store dishes. Operating oven and dishwasher was totally new to me and I took the help of my childhood friend Lalita initially, (sigh) now I laugh looking back to myself.

Since then I was playing around with my oven and baking things. I have noticed that I didn't post any baking recipes so far on my blog so taking this opportunity to post this incredible recipe from My favorite cook book, Kid's Snacks from Better Homes & Gardens. I purchased this book at my local Library sale. I don't have much collection as I did not bring any books from India. Since luggage weight is the main factor to carry things from India to set up a new life in US, books and wedding album were last on my priority list. I know many of us can relate this story of mine with your initial days in US :)

Kid's Snack is a wonderful collection of easy and beautiful looking recipes, kid's love. I also have some other books on healthy home cooking, 101 pasta recipes, low carb diet which I bought from library sale, I tried some of them and much satisfied with the taste but will showcase sometime later on my blog.


thats me!

As Nags asked us to write in one line, I love this book to " Treat the Kid in me" Sending this post to Nags for Show me your cook books event and to JFI-Banana hosted by Ahaar.

Source : adapted from Kid's Snacks
Cuisine: American
Prep time: 10 mins
Baking time: 25 mins
Makes: 6 people
Ingredients:
1 large egg
3 tbsps vegetable oil
3 tbsps milk (I used 2% milk)
3 tbsps orange juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
2 cups all purpose flour (unbleached)
½ cup castor sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips/morsels
Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
  2. Place the egg, oil, mashed bananas, orange juice, vanilla extract and milk in a mixing bowl and beat together with your hand mixer.
  3. In another bowl sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder mix.
  4. Pour in the liquid into the dry mix and stir until just blended.
  5. Add chocolate chips and stir one more time.
  6. Line a muffin tray with paper muffin cases, spray with non-stick spray and then fill each case to just below the muffin tray level.
  7. Bake for about 20 minutes, reducing heat towards the end of baking if the top of the muffins gets brown quickly.
  8. This recipe makes 10-12 muffins, depends upon the tray size you use, I used 2 ¾” size here.
  9. They taste better the next day, just m/w for 10 seconds and its ready to munch on!


Banana Chocolate chip muffins



35 comments:

TBC said...

Simply beautiful muffins!
My story is also very similar to yours. For me not just baking, but cooking too happened only after I got here:). My mom too has one of those aluminium pans/ovens and I think that was very popular in there in the 80's.

FH said...

Nice to see you there Padma. I love banana muffins, looks yummy!Great entry:))

Anonymous said...

Padma, the muffins look so beautiful and yummy. Isn't it so true that once you are on your own, you get to venture so many new things? Hope you come up with more baking ideas.

Swaruchy said...

The muffins look yummy and great Padma......I love Banana muffine :-)

Pooja V said...

Muffins looks v delicious. Ad ek teer se 3 nishan..waah.

Dori said...

Baking was the first thing I learned in the kitchen as a kid...It was comforting to have the house warmed by the oven on cold winter days and have something smelling so good waiting to be eaten. Your muffins look perfect, what a great recipe!

amna said...

such lovely looking muffins.. i am sure they smelt awesome too!

just wondering if you sent me the email for entry to the event. i cant seem to find it in my inbox, so can please resend it?

sorry for the trouble :) and thanks for participating :)

Rina said...

Muffins look so moist and lovely. I usaully do like banana in any baked items, but this looks tempting.

Laavanya said...

Lovely looking muffins Padma.

bee said...

you not only have great recipes, you take great pix. lovely muffins.

Finla said...

Wow the muffins look great.
I also never cooked when i was at home. Learning to cook is something i did after getting married

Saju said...

Yum Padma, they looks so good. I wish I could eat them. Being diabetic I just have to smell the aroma and be satisfied!

Cynthia said...

Hey Padma, looking studious there with that kids cookbook :) Muffins look gorgeous.

Sharmi said...

lovely looking muffins Padma.

Bindiya said...

these muffins look too good, wud love to have one right now!

Srivalli said...

Lovely muffins and the picture is great....and you look very cute trying not to look at the camera...:)...thanks for sharing...nice of you!..will try this out..

Seena said...

thanks Padma for the information abt the book and recipe..

Apple said...

Muffins look really gorgeous Padma..wonderful entry..

noruku theeni said...

Wow...these muffins look awesome...!!!

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Lovely banana muffins! I never cooked nor baked til I came here too. :)

Bong Mom said...

Clever Photograph Padma, nice to see you, you look very intelligent :)
The muffins look moist and yummy

Sig said...

Nice Pic Padma...You look very smart there in your cute glasses :) And muffins look great too!

mb said...

those are some delicious looking muffins. Even my mom has a oven with aluminium pan. Great entry for JFI! Thanks - Mandira

Adity said...

Oh my!! Those muffins look absolutely delicious. I can feel the aroma of the fresh delicacy right from your blog.

I've started craving for it already and have to take the help of your recipe for sure.

Unknown said...

Beautiful pix. Lovely muffins. I culd smell the aroma of bananas.

Siri said...

Dear Padma,
Thanks for dropping by my blog which led urs.. the banana choclate chip muffins looks so good and yummy..:D..
and thanks for the books.. esp for Kids.. :)

amna said...

thanks once again, padma :)

Richa said...

hey, muffins look so inviting ;)
nice to see ya!

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmm Yummy Photo Padama.I Love chocolate chip cookies,muffins....

Anonymous said...

Lovely looking muffins. Those are one of my favorites.

Viji said...

Beautiful well risen muffins Padma. Egg plays a major role here. Viji

sra said...

Padma, came over from Nags' round-up, nice to see most of you :)

amna said...

i have changed the comment in the round up. do check and let me know.

Anonymous said...

beautiful - everything you cook looks so heavenly - i have to taste your cooking in this lifetime - somehow, somewhere.

Mansi said...

this is my ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails