Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Friday, August 31, 2007

Mamidikaya annam aka Mango rice

Mamidakaya annam aka Mango rice


Mamidikaya means raw mango and annam means rice, together mamidikaya annam is one of my favorite rice recipe, its tangy and sour to taste and goes well with any pachadi, fritters or pickle. We make it when the raw mangoes are in season in India, during Ugadi (festival) in the month of March - April. Here in US I noticed that raw mangoes are little bit sweeter to taste.

I am making this classic rice entry and today sending this to Sharmi of Neivedyam for JFI-Rice (Jhiva for Ingredients) started by Indira of Mahanandi.

This recipe is also known as Mango rice, Mamidikaya Pulihora. Mango rice is specially cooked on Ugadi in some parts of Andhra and definitely needs generous amount of oil for tempering. Here are few more recipes for this recipes from fellow bloggers
Sailu, Shireesha, Shakahari Saapadu, Indira, Bee, Shanthi, Sharmi.


Source: My own
Cuisine: South Indian, Andhra
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 7 mins
Makes: 4 people
Ingredients:
3 cups of rice, (pref Indian rice aka sona masoori)
1 big raw mango, peeled and grated
½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
for tempering/tadka:
2 tsp urad dal/black gram dal
2 tsp mustard seeds/rai
1 tbsp chana dal/bengal gram dal
handful of peanuts
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
3-4 torn dried red chillies
4-5 green chillies, cut lengthwise
½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
few curry leaves
a pinch of asafeotida/hing
2 tbsp of cooking oil
salt as per taste

Method:

  1. Cook rice with ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi, let it stand for 10 mins and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
  2. Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the dals, mustard seeds and let it splatter for a minute.
  3. Then add the torn red chillies, curry leaves, peanuts, chopped ginger, green chillies and fry them for 1-2 mins.
  4. To this add the turmeric powder, hing and salt. Mix well and lastly add the grated raw mango.
  5. Stir well and leave it on medium high for about 2 mins or till the mango threads are cooked.
  6. Mix this with rice and Mango rice is ready within minutes.

15 comments:

Tee said...

mmm...just the thought of the combination is making me drool! I have never tried this rice before...will try this next I find raw mangoes in the store.:)

Rajitha said...

i love this rice....so with the rice sweeter than the real sour ones in india...how do u up the sourness... i bought some mangoes to make pappu and they are quite sweet, so i added tamarind. i still have some left so....

Rajitha said...

i meant mangoes sweeter and not rice (sorry!)

Manasi said...

I love Mamidikaya pulihora!!!
Wish I cud have some now!!

sra said...

That's such a nice dish in a nice dish :)

Raaga said...

Yummy... and what a cute dish :-)

TBC said...

Never had this before, Padma.Love the color & the pic.

Chef Jeena said...

Yor Mango rice picture looks fantastic Padma! I bet it was real tasty. :)

Padma said...

Hey Tee try this mango rice and tell me how that came out!

Rajitha, I guess you got my mail on this ...If the mango is sweeter then I add lime juice to make-up the sourness to the rice.

Manasi, you can have it (virtually)!

Thanks Sra, Raaga and TBC for your lovely comments

Jeena it is tasty as always! I like it very much

Sreelu said...

Padma, first time me blog ki, chala bagunayi recipes anni. I love mango rice unfortunately I cannot find sour mangoes.dish looks mouth watering.
Added you to blogroll

Padma said...

Sreelu, tx dear...

Latha Narasimhan said...

Tasty rice padma! sour ones taste beat for this rice!

amna said...

thanks for dropping by :)

waiting for your new post!

Padma said...

I love this annam with the sourest of sour mangoes...really love that tangy tickling ...

Naga, check this out, I paid attn to what you said ;) I posted a new post now where are ur comments...kidding!

kanthi said...

padma,mamidikaya pulihora chala bavundhi ,looks pleasant.

Related Posts with Thumbnails