Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Friday, July 13, 2007

Punjabi Gobi Aloo Muttar ki sabzi

punjabi gobi aloo muttar ki sabzi

This is very first entry to RCI Punjab event hosted by Richa of As Dear As Salt. RCI stands for 'Regional Cuisines of India', a very innovative idea started by Lakshmi of Veggie Cuisine . Punjabi cuisine is famous for its rich and spicy ingredients and mouthful of tasty food. The favourite dishes flashes to you mind when you think of Punjab is Sarson ka Saag and Makke di roti, Lassi, Punjabi Samosa, Parathas and many more. It also reminds me of 'Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge' (Superhit Hindi Movie).

This everyday PGAM sabzi is generally eaten with rotis or parathas(flatbreads) as well as a yogurt relish and some pickles. You may serve it as part of any meal, along with greens, beans, and rice or bread.


Source: My own
Cuisine: North Indian, Punjab
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Serves: 4
Ingredients
2 medium potatos, peeled and cut into medium size cubes
1 crown of cauliflower-medium size,cut into delicate florets
1/2 cup of green peas
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
1/4 cup home made yougurt (for gravy)
1-2 tsps chilli powder (cayenne)
1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
1 tsp jeera(cumin) powder
1 tsp dhaniya (coriander) powder
1 tsp of jeera/cumin seeds
2 tbsps of cooking oil
salt as per taste
few sprigs of cilantro/parsley, roughly chopped
for grinding:
1 small onion, cubed
3-4 green chillies, chopped
1 tbs ginger, roughly chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tbs lemon juice
1/4 cup of cilantro/green coriander

Method:
  1. Boil potatoes and cauliflower florets in a sauce pan with some salt, cook till the florets are tender, donot overcook. Drain and keep aside. Meanwhile grind the ingredients in a food chopper/grinder to a coarse paste.
  2. Heat oil in a kadai and add jeera/cumin seeds to it, fry for a min.
  3. Add chopped onion and little salt to sweat the onions, sauté for a 1-2 mins and add the coarse paste and sauté.
  4. Then add the chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and turmeric and add the chopped tomatoes. Sauté till tomatoes are tender and cooked, about 4-5 mins.
  5. Now add the boiled potatoes, cauliflower florets and peas, stir well so that the vegetables are coated with the masala. Cover and let all the flavors blend in for about 7-8 mins or till the vegetables are fully cooked.
  6. Lastly stir in the yogurt and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro/parsley leaves.
  7. Serve hot with rotis/parathas (flat bread) or hot rice.

My entry for RCI-Punjab PGAM ki sabzi

our lunch today... PGAM ki sabzi with rotis, rice and dal fry

24 comments:

Sharmi said...

looks so good and delicious. its a simple yet elegant entry.

Padma said...

Thank you so much Sharmi, you really take efforts to comment on each post and its really like an essential vitamin for me to keep going.

FH said...

YUM!! YUM!!! Wish I was your neighbor right now,I would have stolen a plate!!:D

Padma said...

Thanks Asha...its all yours!

Bong Mom said...

Hey You have a beautiful blog here. Very nice layout and the recipes are great too. Thanks to Sharmi for leading you here.

Prema Sundar said...

Nice blog and punjabi aloo gobi looks delicious.

Padma said...

Thanks Sandeepa for visitng my blog and commenting, it really acts like vitamin and keeps me on the high node. Yeah thanks to Sharmi for introducing me to food blogs...

Thanks Prema!

Richa said...

looks delicious!! gobi has always been my fav, thanks for this lovely entry!

Padma said...

Gobi is my favo too, I go mad for Gobi manchurian, thanks for stopping by, Richa!

Unknown said...

Hi Takka,

Ur Kitchen BLOG is Mind-BLOGGLING!!! good job....

TBC said...

Hi Padma,
I stumbled across ur blog while I was blog hopping.
I love the clean & uncluttered look of your blog. You have so many good recipes here.
I have made Gobi Aloo Matar sabzi before but it has never looked as good as yours.
I will be back soon.

Padma said...

@ Takli (my sis Madhavi) Loved ur comment....I can see you liked this recipe so much...the other also you were talking about this gobi..

@ TBC thanks for visiting my blog dear, glad you liked this clutter free site...my DH also says " you are so cleaning maniac that your blog also looks neat n clutter free"

Unknown said...

Hey padma,

Seeing your recipe’s, I feel I am late to read your blog...That has excellent recipe's. Will try some of them very soon and let you know the taste…..

Padma said...

hey Anuja nice to see your comments here, did u like it?

Anonymous said...

I was looking for a punjabi recipe-I hit upon yours. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

i tried this recipe yesterday and me and my husband really loved it....easy to make and very delicious...thanks padma.

Cnee said...

Hi Padma,

I was looking for gravies made with gobi and hit on urs. It was an excemllent dish, i tried it out yesterday with the exact measures given. The taste was fanatastic except that it turned out to be more ike a dry one, there wasnt enough gravy left. Any suggestions other than adding water ;-)

Thanks
Sini

Padma said...

Hey Sini, thanks for your kind comments, I searched for your mail id, but couldn't find one in your comments so posting my reply here. Well instead of using finely chopped onions and tomatoes, your can puree them together and add it to the curry and in the end when the subzi is done add some fresh cream to get some extra gravy!

Hope this helps and let me know how that turned.

Unknown said...

The incredients and the prosses of making Punjabi Recipe is nice. I usaually like to eat Punjabi Dishes. There are lots of Punjabi recipes in indianrecipes.co.in just look over it you will enjoy it.

Unknown said...

this is awesome...n really delicious

Unknown said...

this is awesome...

laura said...

I tried this for the first time. its tasty. it was simpleto make. pls post some more veg subzi recipes.. i would love to make...

Anonymous said...

I tried out your recipe with the exact measurements you have given and it was fantastic. The only thing I found missing was that you did not mention that peas also need to be boiled but I guessed it. But other than that it is good. Keep up the good work!

chowringheelaxminagar said...



I visit your post. And I like it. plz keep continue.Thanks!!
Restaurant in Laxmi Nagar

Related Posts with Thumbnails