Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Veggie Akki Roti/ Rice Flour Rotis

our weekend breakfast, Akki roti with coconut-dalia chutney

Akki Roti- Karnataka's favourite breakfast

Akki Roti is a Karnataka recipe which I tasted at my friend's place and loved it. This is a famous breakfast and very popular in homes across Karnataka. There are many ways of preparing it, but my friend taught me the easy way of making these rice rotis. One can make it by simply adding jeera (cumin seeds) and salt or make it richer by adding veggies. Here is my recipe and few tricks on how to make it easy.

Source: Friend
Cuisine: South Indian, Karnataka

Prep time: 20 mins & Cooking time: 20 mins

Makes: 8-10 Rotis
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of rice flour (makes 8-10 rotis)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 cucumber, grated (deseed if seeds are large)
2 green chillis, finely chopped
Handful of green coriander/cilantro, roughly chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
½ cup home made yogurt/dahi
2 tbsps oil
Salt as per taste
1 cup of water, accordingly

Method:
  • Combine rice flour and chopped and grated veggies, add jeera(cumin seeds), salt, yogurt and mix well.
  • Add water to it slowly and keep on mixing till you get a thick consistency like uttappam batter (not like dosa batter)
How to prepare the rotis on pan


  • Take a light weight non-stick pan, pour some oil, I use canola oil spray, pick handful of the batter and spread it with your hand on the pan and then lit the stove. Remember the pan should be cold and greased when you pour the batter into it.
  • You may brush some oil on the top side and then turn around. It will take around 2-4 mins to cook on each side of the roti.
  • For the next roti, run the bottom side of the pan in cold tap water, so that the temperature is reduced and repeat the same procedure.
  • Serve hot with any Indian pickle or chutney of your choice like Coconut-Dalia chutney.
Akki roti, the easy way of making...

27 comments:

Sharmi said...

You have started with a great bang!! keep it up. lovely recipe and pics. I did not understand this recipe when you explained it to me but now its clear.

Padma said...

Thanks Sharmi, for your comments it really motivating me to stay high

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the food blogging world, Padma. I agree with Sharmi..great start!

Padma said...

Sailu, thank you so much for a warm welcoming message. You are my inspiration...

Suganya said...

Looks very tasty...

Padma said...

Thanks Suganya....

FH said...

Love the masala Akki rotti.I am a Kannadiga,make these often at home but my grandmother's style akki rotti the way they do in Coffee plantations.It's in my recipe Index.
I love the way chutney looks there:))

Swaruchy said...

Hey thanks for the recipe Padma....I have been enquiring abt this recipe from some kannadigas a few days ago.......thanks so much...its a lot clear now :-)
And congrats on starting ur own blog. I sincerely wish ur blog goes places in days to come. Cheers. Sirisha

Padma said...

Thanks Asha, I did check your recipe index and your grandmother's version of Akki roti is really very simple.

Nice to know you Sirisha!LMK how they tasted when you prepare them next time and thanks for your wishes... Njoy!

Jacob said...

You are the next Tarla Dalal......

This is not copy paste from some other site ????
:D :D :D

Padma said...

Hey Jacob, thanks for stopping by, its a very big comment to a starter like me, I am nowhere near TD, but if you feel so...toh chalta hain ;)!

Mahek said...

WOW!!!!
Padma ,
i love to try different types of Rotis dosas and parathas
This is somewhat like what we call in goa as 'tandlachi bhakri' but iwill try with the other vegs usually i add only onions.

Apple said...

Hmmm Akki Roti...I made this several times without the veggies before but never knew that it's frm karnataka cuisine and is known as Akki Roti...Lovely Blog with a great start Padma...Gud luck ahead...

Anonymous said...

lovely recipe
mouth watering
learning new recipes which r easy to make
all the best padma

Padma said...

Mahek, I would love to see your tandlachi bhakri recipe, are u also a food blogger, if yes then do post it for me. I like Goan food so much!

Hey Keerthi, thanks for visiting my blog, your have a great blog too...but I have to go thru it thoroughly...try Akki rotis with veggies, its simply delicious

thanks Vidya!

Argus Lou said...

This is great! Simply delicious, Padma. I hope to make it as soon as I can get some affordable rice flour here.
From another post of yours, I'm glad to know that methi seeds are another name for fenugreek seeds.

Padma said...

I am glad you liked this recipe...yeah fenugreek seeds are also called as methi/menthi in India

Finla said...

Never made this.
I agree it is a change to make this rotti.
Good luck with the blog.
I myself is new to this just started 2 months back.

Padma said...

Happy Cook, tx for digging in my first post... glad u liked it...

Suganya said...

Hey Padma, I made this for lunch y'day and it turned to be fabulous. I substituted curd for left-over dosa batter, so I got the tang too. With all the veggies, they are so filling. Thanks for the recipe:)

pss said...

Yummy, thanks for posting! Reminded me of the varum arashi addai (with soaked and ground rice!) my mom used to make either plain or with drumstick leaves!

Priya Narasimhan said...

Padma,
I made these rotis following your recipe. It came out well.. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

hi padma,
this is a amazing recipe.i diid try th eother recipe with dough but thi sproved for me easier and quicker to do .great sharing this
cheers
gai3

Anonymous said...

Omg...superb instructions. I followed it to the tee and it came out perfect. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the wonderful tips Padma. My husband-my biggest critic enjoyed it too so did the kids.

Anonymous said...

I tried this and I love it! Thank you so much it's even better then atta roti. Thank you Sister!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Padmaji..
Iam a Kannidiga married to a punjabi and offlate, im rediscovering traditional dishes of south karnataka. I tried your masala akki roti to which i added grated coconut.. came out excellent. My daughter who was eating pizza , abandoned it and ate roti !! For Coconut chutney, i add couple of garlic pieces,tamarind, pudina leaves, curry leaves, coriander leaves to coconut, fried channa dal..
Thanks for your wonderful blog
Rakshith, Newdelhi

Anonymous said...

Hai padma.im vaishnavi..I tried your akki roti.. It came out very well and my husband liked it alot..Im a tamilian and we settled in karnataka...I enjoyed akki roti as it is new recipe for us...

Related Posts with Thumbnails